Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Email #64 (Gilbert, AZ)

November 10, 2014

Hey there, querida familia!
Man, time is just flying by so fast out here. I can't even believe that my other two comps go home in two weeks. WHY??? This is cruel and unusual punishment. I keep on having to say goodbye to my best friends and it's really tough. But, life goes on and so does the Work!
This week was pretty good! We spent a lot of it trying to finish up teaching Tony all of the lessons so he could be ready for his baptism on Saturday. He is AWESOME and his baptism was so tender. I don't know if I've ever met such a pure hearted 13 year old, a teenager who is so genuinely dedicated to getting closer to God and serving and helping his family. He is such a sweet kid. And the people who spoke at his baptism all mentioned him serving a mission, and that makes me so excited because he is going to be an amazing missionary someday! It was a great night.
Also, both Darren and Jamie came to church yesterday with Tony Li! We also had a lesson with them last night, but Jamie couldn't make it. Darren is AWESOME! Even with his limited English, you can feel how sincere his desire is to know if God is real, and that he trusts us to help him know. We were able to teach them more about Jesus Christ last night and we found the "Because of Him" video in Chinese! Milagro!:) The Spirit was very strong as we told them more about our purpose on earth and that Jesus Christ makes it possible for us to return back to our Heavenly Father. We hope the lesson helped them feel the Spirit, even if they didn't understand everything we taught.
I am so blessed to be on a mission. I think about it, and never in a million years would I have met all the people I've met on my mission had I not gone. I wouldn't have met my companions, the members, or our investigators. And what makes it so special is that these are people who have changed my life, and impacted me in a way that has brought me closer to the Savior. God knows me perfectly, and he has placed people in my life that he knew I would need so I could become the person He wants me to be. That is one of the most amazing things about being out here, and something that I didn't necessarily anticipate before coming out on a mission. Before, I was set on changing peoples' lives and helping others to come unto Christ, and didn't give much thought to how much these people would change me. Little did I know that I was the one who needed them so I could learn, change and grow closer to my Father and my Savior. It's the people I have met that have helped me to understand how much God loves me, and how much He loves all of us.
Hna Carvalho--I guess she is just Cindy now, came to Gilbert to visit with her parents this past weekend! It was fun because they showed up at Tony's baptism and I got to see my compi again!!! It was so strange seeing her not as a missionary, because it was the same old Hna Carvalho, but at the same time she was different. But it was so good to see her. When you say goodbye to someone you've been with 24/7 all day every day for 5 months and then all of the sudden you don't see them at all and you can't communicate with them in any way, it almost makes it feel like that person isn't real anymore. You know they are there, but it's like they're just part of this dream world that exists outside of the mission haha. So it was awesome to give her a big hug again and talk to her. And her parents came all the way from Brazil to pick her up and are amazing! Her mom was one of the sweetest people I've ever met, so nice and cute, and even though we couldn't communicate super well, I could still feel her love and appreciation for me. Her dad is super funny and has this big goofy grin on his face all the time. His English was really good! You can tell they are both just SO proud of Cindy and they love her so much. I feel really blessed that I got to meet them, even though our time was short, I love them a lot, and I am glad I was able to tell them in person how much they're daughter impacted my life and changed me and that I was so grateful I was able to be her companion. It is awesome that they were able to come and meet all of the people that love their daughter so much and see how many lives she impacted and changed. It was hard to say goodbye again, but I know I'll see her again! I did promise her parents that I would learn Portuguese and come to Brazil somedayJ
I don't have a whole lot of updates on other investigators this week. We will be meeting with all of them soon though so I'll let you know next week:)
Que tengan una semana MARAVILLOSA!! Keep on being the best, fam:) Seriously, thank you for your prayers and love.
LES QUIERO MUCHO!!!
Hermana Lattin

0 comments:

Post a Comment